Thursday, February 16, 2012

Apple Find My iPhone App Review

This blog article is a bit different than the topics FDR usually writes about, however, products and services which really work, deserve a pat on the back! I questioned my husband why we would even need an app like Find My iPhone when he decided to download it almost a year ago. His response was simply "You'll see that it'll come in handy one day."

Well, this week has been a bumpy one! I drove over a screw somewhere on my errands route that penetrated my tire...it was Valentine's Day. Sadly, it caused us to cancel our date night because it was right at the time the shops were closing and couldn't get it fixed until the next day. It was disappointing not following through with our date night plans but we make the most of every situation together wherever!!

The following day I brought the vehicle to a local shop to have the tire patched and after paying, I accidentally left my Apple iPhone on the service counter. I didn't really feel like making lunch so I picked up Mr. Sub on the way home. I looked through the mounds of mail, let the furry kids out, ate lunch and when I reached for my phone, it wasn't there.

Frantically I searched in every room of my house, checked my vehicle, think back to where I used it last. I can't find the phone, oh no! But along comes my trusty hubby with the iPad in hand to the rescue with the Find My iPhone app!

This App allows you to remotely perform these functions:

- Locate a missing device
- Lock the iPhone
- Display a message
- Play a sound
- Erase all the data, all from another iOS device

My hubby immediately locked the phone, although I already have my phone set to lock after 1 minute of inactivity. Then proceeded to locate the device. BANG, there it was on a nice little map showing my iPhone at the auto shop. But he also sent the phone a message too, stating "I'm on my way to pick up my phone, thanks!"

When I got to the shop, I barely stepped out of my vehicle and the manager was bringing it to me. This is an app that you hope you never need to use (kind of like insurance) but it's certainly a great app to have in the event that you have a bad week like mine! This was the silver lining so to speak! This is definitely on the list of my top apps!

Thanks Apple for making this useful, helpful app!

No comments:

SwagBucks Swidget